Prior knowledge of computer science (programming, coding, etc.) is not required
- Enroll as a student at Hartnell College <- This is a live link to instructions on Hartnell’s website for how to apply to Hartnell*
- Obtain a Hartnell Student ID #
- Complete the 1 hour online orientation
- You do not have to apply for Fall 2023, any term is OK
- Select “Computer Science & Info Systems-Computer Science Option” as your major
- Select “obtain an associate degree and transfer to a 4-year institution” as your educational goal
- Complete the online CSin3 application form <- This is a live link to the CSin3 application form
- Most recent unofficial transcripts
- High School transcripts required for all applicants
- Current college students** should also provide their college transcripts
- A letter of recommendation
- Personal statement – In 1000 words or less, please answer one of the following writing prompts:
- Prompt 1: What is your interest in computer science and why do you feel you will succeed in the CSin3 program?
- Prompt 2: Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that has made a profound impact in your life. How has that helped shape you into the person are today?
- Most recent unofficial transcripts
- Participate in a group interview for admission with CSin3 staff and faculty. Students who meet eligibility requirements and have successfully completed steps 1 and 2 will be invited to attend a mandatory group interview session where they will meet with CSin3 staff and other prospective cohort-mates. During this session students will learn more about the program and have an opportunity to ask questions about the program. Students will be invited to interview in the order that we receive applications.
* If you are a concurrent enrollment student at Hartnell through your high school you need to submit a new application to Hartnell as a high school graduate.
**Students who have attended an institution other than Hartnell should arrange to have their official transcripts sent to Hartnell.
Application Deadlines & Admission Decision Timeline for Fall 2023
Application Deadline: The application will remain open until the cohort is full but in order for the program to begin registering student in a timely manner and to accommodate students who do not place into MAT 3A to take the MAT 27 prerequisite over the summer the cohort must be finalized by May 1, 2023. Late applications received before the fall semester at CSUMB begins will be considered if space permits and if late applicants are eligible to take MAT 3A in the fall. Late applicants who are not eligible for MAT 3A will be considered if there is room in MAT 27 and their application is submitted by May 31, 2023. Students cannot be admitted to the program once the CSUMB semester has started.
Our admission cap is 35 students and our waitlist cap is 5 students. We will conduct interviews starting in late fall and will continue through the spring. Students will be invited to interview in the order that we receive their application. Interviews will be held on a rolling basis until cohort is full or the deadline is reached.
Admissions Decisions: Admissions decisions are sent to students shortly after the interview.
Mandatory Pre-College Program Activities
Math Placement & Preparation
Students who do not place into MAT 3A must complete MAT 27 during the summer before the start the program. The course will be in person and run during Hartnell College’s regular summer session. The purpose of this course is to meet the MAT 3A prerequisite.
summer bridge experience for cohort students (BECS)
CSin3 will kick off with Summer Bridge Experience, an on-campus/online summer experience aimed at building a strong cohort community, introducing you to Computer Science, and laying the foundation for habits and strategies that will ensure student success in the first year of college. During summer bridge students will have the opportunity to interact with engineers from some of our industry partners, which may include Amazon, Apple, DoorDash, Google, Lyft, Quizlet, Slack, Salesforce, Uber, VMWare, etc,. as well as with past graduates from our cohort programs.
Bridge Experience for Cohort Student dates will be provided to students in May. All cohort activities will be added to student’s cohort calendar which will be shared with them shortly after being admitted into the program.