Prior knowledge of computer science (programming, coding, etc.) is not required
- Enroll as a student at Hartnell College
- Obtain a Hartnell Student ID #
- Complete the 1 hour online orientation
- You do not have to apply for Fall 2022, any term is OK
- Select “Computer Science & Info Systems-Computer Science Option” as your major
- Select “obtain an associate degree and transfer to a 4-year institution” as your educational goal
- Complete the online CSin3 application form
- Most recent unofficial transcripts
- High School transcripts required for all applicants
- Current college students** should also provide their college transcripts
- A letter of recommendation
- Personal statement – In 1000 words or less, please answer one of the following writing prompts:
- Prompt 1: What is your interest in computer science and why do you feel you will succeed in the CSin3 program?
- Prompt 2: Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that has made a profound impact in your life. How has that helped shape you into the person are today?
- Most recent unofficial transcripts
- Participate in a group interview for admission with CSin3 staff and faculty. Students who meet eligibility requirements and have successfully completed steps 1 and 2 will be invited to interview for admissions. Students will be invited to interview in the order that we receive applications.
**Students who have attended an institution other than Hartnell should arrange to have their official transcripts sent to Hartnell.
Application Deadlines & Admission Decision Timeline for Fall 2022
Application Deadline: The application will remain open until the cohort is full but in order for the program to begin registering student in a timely manner and to accommodate students who do not place into MAT 3A to take the MAT 27 prerequisite over the summer the cohort must be finalized by May 2, 2022. Late applications will be considered if space permits and if late applicants are eligible to take MAT 3A in the fall. Late applicants who are not eligible for MAT 3A will be considered if there is room in MAT 27 and their application is submitted by May 30, 2022.
Our admission cap is 35 students and our waitlist cap is 5 students. We will conduct interviews starting in late fall and will continue through the spring. Students will be invited to interview in the order that we receive their application. Interviews will be held on a rolling basis until cohort is full or the deadline is reached.
Admissions Decisions: Admissions decisions are sent to students shortly after the interview.
Mandatory Pre-College Program Activities
Math Placement & Preperation
Students who do not place into MAT 3A must complete MAT 27 during the summer before the start the program. The course will be in person and run during Hartnell College’s regular summer session. The purpose of this course is to meet the MAT 3A prerequisite.
summer bridge experience for cohort students (BECS)
CSin3 will kick off with Summer Bridge Experience, an on-campus/online summer experience aimed at building a strong cohort community, introducing you to Computer Science, and laying the foundation for habits and strategies that will ensure student success in the first year of college. During summer bridge students will have the opportunity to interact with engineers from some of our industry partners, which may include Amazon, Apple, DoorDash, Google, Lyft, Quizlet, Slack, Salesforce, Uber, VMWare, etc,. as well as with past graduates from our cohort programs.
Bridge Experience for Cohort Student dates will be provided to students in May. All cohort activities will be added to student’s cohort calendar which will be shared with them shortly after being admitted into the program.